I am wondering what is usually involved in buying the screen rights to an
older or unknown short story. I am sure that it would be virtually
impossible to get the rights to a popular work but I was thinking that it
might be interesting to make a super 8 short film  based on a work of
heroic fantasy, or science fiction.

  Much of the short literature in these catagorys would be extremley
feesible to do on a shoesting budget. Ofcourse you could always write an
original screenplay, but, as an avid reader, ive always found the
proposition of doing an adaption intriguing.