Lets say I have just read a book.  The characters were compelling.  The
story was involving.  Greater than great.  It was visual.  Seems like a
sure bet for a movie.  Even better ... the book is in the public
domain.

Six month later I have adapted the book into a first rate screenplay.
I start to market the script around H'wood ... everyone rejects it ...
and someday I find out Paramount is doing an adaptation themselves.

Is there anything I could do to avoid this scenario; to protect myself
from other screenwriters/producers/studios in adapting the same book?

Eric Lilleor
Danish Screenwriter

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite