Don Larsson asked about DVD...

>I have been hearing off and on for some time that a new digital video system
>is in the works.  It supposedly will be the size of a standard CD and
>still contain the material that now takes several laserdisks to include
>(even non-CAV format).

Thought industry press has said that several Japanese companies have DVD
players (first called Digital Video Disk, and now Digital Versatile Disk)
from what I have read recently it is on temporary hold.

The people I talked to said that some players would be equipped to play old
style laserdisks as well as the new fromat which should look something like
CD ROMs. I know of no software available but have seen prototype pictures
of players.

MacUser this month has an article about it at
http://www.zdnet.com/macuser/onlinecol/gorey21.html

There it gives the details about storage size and so forth.

One wonders what the future holds here. There are about 9,000 titles on
Laserdisk so I don't think it can comptete immediately but the future looks
bright since you could have very high quality and several films on one
disk.

Cheers,
Bert

BERT DEIVERT   Film Studies / Media Studies
University of Karlstad,SWEDEN     Voice: 46-54-83 81 06
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.hks.se/~bertd/bertd.html