Help!
        i'm writing review for our scifi greatest movies webpage [see
below], and the movie credits mention only the two screenwriters.  it's
clear from the sophisticated plot that this is indeed based on a
published story or novel.  but which one?
        the plot [brief] -- anthropologist from far away planet visits
earth to investigate human species, in response to invitation from the
SETI [search for extra terrestrial intelligence] project which has been
broadcasting invitation to other worlds via radio waves and rockets for
many years.  as the anthrop. nears earth, he is shot down by the USA
security forces, and instead of landing near the "meteor pit" near
Winslow AZ as intended, he crash lands in Northern Wis.  The nearest
inhabitant is a horny young widow, and the alien takes the form of her
late husband.  He "pursuades" the widow to drive him to Winslow AZ
where his mother ship will pick him up, and the USA security forces, as
well as all the police forces on route are after them with murderous
intent.  in the end, after giving the widow the baby she couldn't have
with her late husband, the alien makes it safely to his mother ship,
and all ends happily.  great road chase plot, great alien/human
romance.  great acting by jeff bridges [nominated for academy award and
golden globe award] and karen allen.

        I'm sure I've read a story or novel based on a similar plot,
but can't put my finger on it.  please help!

                caroline