The film "Friendship's Death" was made by my former professor at
UCLA, Peter Wollen. He screened it there and it is possible there
might be a copy in the UCLA film archive. Certainly you could
contact him at UCLA's school of film and television, where he is
a professor. I believe his email is [log in to unmask], but I might
have gotten it wrong. I don't know why BFI won't release it, but
you might ask Peter.
Good luck.
Larry Jarvik

--