>David Ezell comments:
>"I wanted to take THE LION KING thread on a slight detour.  I thought the
>movie was pathetic, way below par for Disney Studios.  Anyone agree?
>Anyone love it?  If so, why?"
        ***I did love it.  It is my favorite of all Disney animated films.
I've read all the post re. racism ect.  I consider myself to be a
well-educated person.  I have a B.S. in Radio/TV/Film and I'll complete my
master's this may in the same area, but when I view the film (several
times, I might add.  I have a 2 1/2yr old niece who religiously watches it
:) ) I just didn't pick up on the racism/"holier than thou" issues.  This
is not to say anyone who did is wrong.  For from that, indeed.  I'm just
not sure that is the message intended.  One of the reasons I particularly
liked the film was due to the "circle of life" theme it expressed.  More
specifically, death.  I so touched by the conversation Mufasa had w/Simba
prior to his death where he explains that death is a part of life.  There
must be death in order to generate life.
        As I said, please understand I can see the previous points made.  I
still must stand on the fact that I just don't see Whoopi Goldberg, of all
voistrous equality-seeking actor/ress participating in a film promoting
segregation/discrimination.

Donald Larsson writes:
>While there are some good bits in the film, and it's fairly typical in
>the quality of the animation, I agree that it is one of the lesser efforts
>of the newer Eisner-era Disney (not as weak as POCAHONTAS, which looked
>depressingly like a throwback to the flat cut-out 50s Disney style, eg.
>SLEEPING BEAUTY).
        ***I must agree with the "Pocahontas" comment.  I thought it was
horrible.

>that and perhaps that the story line is relatively uncomplicated,
>if not archetypal (but aren't they all?).
        ***How do you mean?

 >CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND(and this probably *is* the best of
>John Williams' scores)
        ***I'm still partial to "Star Wars", but have you heard his work
fro "Emma"?

 >but  there is so little
>*narrative* to the film: Folks are visited by aliens--long to return favor--
>meet a few obstacles (mostly artificial ones)--and succeed.  Not much of a
>story there.
>
>Any thoughts on that?
       *** I think it was a matter of timing.  If it were released today, I
don't see it being as successful.  Sort of a "cutting edge" for the time
thing.  Not that the alien theme hadn't been used several time prior to
that, but I don't think they had the media-hype capabilities "Close
Encounters..." had.

Just some of my opinions. . .

Andi Simonpietri R/TV/F
Indiana State University