In message  <[log in to unmask]>
 [log in to unmask] writes:

>         I couldn't agree more. In fact, I think the potential benefits of
> having people asking questions, even if the answers to those questions
> are available elsewhere, far outweigh the annoyance that someone might
> feel at having to read them. I mean, nobody has to answer these
> questions, after all. It seems to me particularly unsupportable and even
> irresponsible to blame problems with the general quality of discussion on
> the list on these requests, even more so when so many of us on the list
> are educators.

Listen, I'm going to stick my neck out here and say something, about
this group as a whole, using the above post as a bounce board too get
there.  Okay?

This isn't an attack on anyone at all, just an exploration of something, in hope
of getting to something.

What I've noticed in here, is that everyone is so *formal*, and quick
feel that there is a general atmosphere of 'got at', that I'm at
a loss to explain.  I've often wondered why Jeremy was moerating
in the first place - moerating seems to come online *after* some
huge bust up - and I can only presume that there have been
some viscious wars that needed stomped on from a great height.  Which
*confuses* me.

But I've come on after two days away, to find a simple roll of ideas
evolve into something so far from the original post its' quite amazing.
A tiny drift in ponts which has resulted in a battle field being drawn
at *amazing* speed.

No one at any point in the discussion about the lack of discussion in here
was the question and answer issue put forward as a *bad* thing -
just unsatisfying.  ANd yet we know have posts that talk aboout irresponsible
behaviour - as if something nasty and attacking was suggested.

I'm *amazed* and quite horrified that we can't talk to each other like
human beings, and exchange ideas without this process happening.   And I'm not
talking any one person here - there seems to be a *culture* of immediate
suspicion and fence defending at work.  It's as if people automatically
scan for the worst in posts, and defend out of that position.  And
all the formal academic debate stances are totally standard.

Talking in friendly, open terms on the Net is a skill - there are
always difficulties in not seeing the physical person - having no
other clue that the words on intent - but that skill appears to
be rejected in here, in favour of the most formal, idea nailing,
bating down the hatches and repelling invadors style.  I've found
myself doing it!

ANd no, I'me not sayign we should abandon it: get rid of the discipline, the
honest searching - just perhaps temper our academic disciplines
and prejudicess with some awareness that *people* make up this list,
and that maybe it's worth getting along with the people first, in order
to actually get to the ideas.

Thesis.  Antithesis. Synthesis.

:-)

--
Morgan   (If you're going to shout at me - could we just shout at me straight
         out?  I'd go mad if someone pointed out all the formal mistakes in