Tony responds:
"The BBC production you mention starred Michael Caine, not Michael York. I
think the title was "The Other Man" or something like that and was produced
in the 60s when Caine did some good television character roles before
becoming trapped by his "Alfie" persona."

Actually, the one I'm think of was broadcast  (on MASTERPIECE THEATER, I
think) in 1980 or later.  The one possible title I've found yet is called
THE FAR LAND, starring York, but I haven't been able to find a plot summary
of it yet.  I'll keep looking--I seem to remember that at least one of
the characters worked for the BBC  (maybe Derek Jacobi was in it?).

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)