I have heard the " archiving " arguement, I even get requests to do this
with our videos on some university PO's, but I do not know of any legal
basis. Again since libraries  to the best of my knowledge anyway ) do not
xerox a copy of every book they buy and " archive" it in case it goes out
of print, why should they do this to video?. I am not unsympathetic to the
problem of out of print titles, but just like books you can find used
copies of these.  I realize many AV people and teachers dupe tapes often,
for classroom and reserve use, but this does not make it legal or in my
view fair to the rights holder.

Jesssica Rosner
Kino International

Kino International Corporation