Chris Ames wrote:

> Of course, _The Player_ masterfully lampoons this activity
> throughout and pitches appear in the movies cited above.  Other
> examples?  I'd be grateful.

One example from the not-too-distant past that I haven't seen mentioned
yet is _The Way We Were_, which does some lampooning of its own,
with the implication that writing for the screen (as opposed to writing
novels, for instance) requires one to shed his or her integrity.  Redford's
Hubble is a failure as a novelist, and yet succeeds rather easily as a
screenwriter.

Christopher White
The New School