>        films that present the female lead through an indexical
>representation (obviously beyond the indexical representation of film
>itself), or an iconic one, prior to her entrance onscreen.

Hm... "indexical" --a new word for me.  How about the classic film,
"Laura."  I believe that that is what the film is about --been a while
since I've seen that one.

If you wanted to give yourself a headache trying to stretch for it, you
might try Hitchcock's "Vertigo".

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy