On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Ron Hoffman wrote:

> I am showing my film class "Some Like It Hot."  This is a 1959 movie.
> Could anyone name any films where cross dressing plays a MAJOR role PRIOR
> to the Wilder movie?  Is there anything in silent film?  Thanks in advance.

Though I don't have the reference handy, I believe there was a silent
film called THE AMAZONS which starred Marguerite Clark and
featured women in men's suits.  Hardly any of her films survive,
though.

   \   |  Jonathan LeBreton   Ass't Director, Library      |   /
    \  |  UMBC = University of Maryland Baltimore County   |  /
     \ |       "an honors university in Maryland"          | /
     / |  [log in to unmask]         phone 410-455-2356     | \