In article <[log in to unmask]>
Ron Hoffman <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I am showing my film class "Some Like It Hot."  This is a 1959 movie.
> Could anyone name any films where cross dressing plays a MAJOR role PRIOR
> to the Wilder movie?  Is there anything in silent film?  Thanks in advance.
> Oh ya.  Now that I think of it, there is "Glen or Glenda."

How about:
CHARLEY'S AUNT (1930 -- Charlie Ruggles) and (1941 -- Jack Benny)
I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE (Hawks, 1949 -- Cary Grant)
THE JITTERBUGS (Laurel and Hardy)

For female cross-dressing, the German version of VICTOR/VICTORIA and
the British version, FIRST A GIRL with Jessie Mathews in the '30s come
to mind.

If I'm not mistaken, even SOME LIKE IT HOT was based on a German comedy
of the '30s.