Gerald Forshey notes:
" The first use of the word "pregnant" was in a film "Apartment for
Peggy," and was uttered by Jeanne Crain.  It was made in 1948 and starred
Crain, William Holden, and Edmund Gwenn.  I don't have a director on it."

The director was veteran writer-director George Seaton (also known for
MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET and THE COUNTRY GIRL, among many others).

In passing, we might also note the controversial (!) use of the word "pregnant"
(and "virgin") in Preminger's THE MOON IS BLUE.

Gerald also refers to Lucy Mallory's small waistline in STAGECOACH.  Actually,
we rarely see her waistline because she's almost always holding her purse or
something else in front of her or discreetly draped with her shawl.  The Lucy
case is interesting, since her "surprise" pregnancy seems to be part of the
film's larger project of questioning and satirizing "Victorian" (for want of
a better term) mores.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)