For fine essays and thorough bibliographical references you will
find what you asked for, Mike, in Classical Hollywood Comedy, edited
by Kristine Karnick and Henry Jenkins, Routledge, 1995.  I used it
as my textbook on American film comedy for both graduate and under-graduate
classes.  The grad students loved it; the undergrads were befuddled--even
though its use of contemporary theoretical concepts is asd jargon-free
as is possible.  liz weis cuny