In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
 writes:
> On The Final Cut, one of Francis Urquhart's minister's was called
> "Sooty". Does anyone know what this slang term means?
> Thank you,
> Laurence Jarvik
> Cultural Studies Fellow
> Capital Research Center
>
> --
> Laurence Jarvik
>
> ----
> To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Sooty and Sweep were/are children's glove puppets.  I'd need the
exact reference to make a guess...but the usual derogative about
glove puppets is having someone's hands up your
bum pulling strings!

--
Morgan

"Come to the edge", he said....we said "We are afraid"..."Come to the
edge" he said...we came...he pushed us...and we flew.