I was wondering whether or not there are many people who saw the film AND
read the book.  As usual, the book is better than the film.

I felt Tim Robbins did an excellent job in balancing the movie's pro life
and death penalty points of view.  Especially since most people are aware of
the fact he is personally against the death penalty.

The Sean Penn character in the movie is really a composite; especially of
two death row inmates who were featured in Helen Perjeans (sp) book.  The
same holds true for the families of the victims.  In fact, Sean Penn
represents more of the first death row inmate Sister Helen visited (IMO).
In the movie he seems to have very little in the way of redeeming qualities.
I had more sympathy for *him* in the book.  There were quite a few changes.

Despite the fact, in my opinion, the book is better than the movie, I felt
Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn (plus others) did an outstanding
job.  The theatre where I viewed the film was exceptionally quiet the whole
time.  You could have heard a pin drop.

Thank you for the opinions of others!

Marti Kaye

>>        I couldn't agree more that the spectral-victims shot is a problem
>>in the film, and I don't think its nitpicking to bring it up (although
>>I saw it as a sort of an assemblage of the victims of the whole structure
>>of violence.....
>>the film was addressing rather than an approving witnessing by the murder
>>victims.
>
>>Sean Desilets
>>Tufts University
>
>Well, I found this shot less of a problem. But, it is still wide open for
>debate. I agree with Sean that after the execution the three dead people
>represented the viloence against individuals--some innocent, some not.
>Remember, Penn's last words were something like: "Killing's wrong--whether
>by me or you--or the government." Then, Robbins gives us that final shot. I
>believe it worked as a final testament. But, again, that's how I saw it.
>
>Mark Toscani
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Marti Kaye Vigil