One definition of film noir might be that it is any film which essentially
retells the story of Adam, Eve and original sin. In this view, the central
characters devote significant skills to obtaining that which harms them. In
this view, "Fatal Attraction" and "Basic Instinct" are as much entitled to be
called film noir as are films such as "The Postman Always Rings Twice"
(1946).

I realize there is nothing more dangerous than proposing a simple definition
in the absence of exhaustive scholarship. I hope you will understand that I
mean only to stimulate discussion of a fascinating genre.

Thank you for your patience.

Peter S. Latham