I don't know that I could recommend any comprehensive text--from the
beginnings of German film history to the present, that is--but Thomas
Elsaesser's NEW GERMAN CINEMA is quite thorough in its treatment of NGC.
It is jam-packed, and almost functions like a reference tool.  Graduate
students and advanced undergraduates should not have much difficulty, but
beginning undergraduates might find it slow going.  One thing I like a lot
about Elsaesser is that he provides constant analysis of German political
and cultural history to frame his discussion of films/filmmakers.

Jenifer K. Ward
Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
Gustavus Adolphus College
800 W. College Avenue
Saint Peter, MN 56082
(507) 933-7390