> My evening film class meets on Halloween night, and I want to show them a
> four or five star quality horror film . . . .

well, there's quality and there's quality.  if you want to scare the pants
off them and feel like you're not giving them the celluloid equivalent of
a ho-ho or a little debbie, i'd go with _the shining_ (kubrick 1980) or
_what ever happened to baby jane_ (aldrich 1962).  if you want to show
them a great masterpiece that has been classified as horror, i'd pick
_vampyr_ (dreyer 1932) or _nosferatu_ (murnau 1922).

sylvia swift