A friend of mine is currently designing a course around films that
are "about" Los Angeles.  She is interested in films that are set in
LA and in which the city itself is foregrounded, that is, constitutes
a crucial element in our reading and understanding of the story.
(Films such as SUNSET BOULEVARD, BOYZ N THE HOOD, BLADE RUNNER, THE
BIG SLEEP, CHINATOWN would all qualify.)  I thought some of you Screen-
Lers out there may have some suggestions. . . .

Thanks in advance,
Joe Abbott