A biography of director Tod Browning was recently published.  I bought it the
other day but, unfortunately, I haven't actually had the time to even open it
yet.  However,  I know it deals with Freaks and censorship.  An excerpt of the
book appears in the current issue of Filmfax magazine.  I did read this article
and it specifically deals with Freaks and the reactions it caused at MGM, and
the US and UK markets.  A great black and white photo of Browning and a few
cast members is on the cover.