Thanks to you all for your (correct) advice and kind offers re Midnight
Ramble.  The first replier was Arthur Knight who phoned with Pearl Bowser's
number.  Pearl is lending me a copy.  When I get the definitive answer
about how to buy it when I see her Thursday I'll post that info, as she
says the distributor has changed. I do recommend the film, as it is hard
for students to appreciate a Micheaux film out of context.  Thanks, liz
weis, cuny