On Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:26:55 -0500 Mantey Peter A said:

>I've just joined the list and am happy to be a part of it. I'm
>currently doing some graduate work (hopefully leading to a
>Ph.D) in film history and would appreciate your help.
>
>My area of research at the moment is the history of synchronized
>sound for film (*not* necessarily "sound-on-film") in the period
>roughly between 1890 and 1930.  I'm trying to assemble a good
>bibliography for the study of this subject.

At the risk of seeming too chiding, this is one of those cases where
I for one would have liked to see a small indication of some
groundwork research.  Like a reference to Douglas Gomery, who rewrote
the history of the introduction of sound into the US film industry in
his Ph.D., and subsequently in numerous articles and books including
his survey Movie History and his and Robert Allen's Film History:
Theory and Practice.  His work is nearly unavoidable to the student
of film history -- and a good thing, too -- and I hope that Peter
has already encountered it and just neglected to mention it.  Gomery's
a tough act to follow, but anyone researching film sound does have
to follow it.

Someone who did, and did very well though his work is less well-known,
is a colleague in graduate school, William Lafferty, who wrote his
Ph.D. in the early 1980s on the introduction of magnetic sound to the
film industry.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6