Speaking of Thelma & Louise . . . I'd like some feedback on an idea.
When I watched T&L the first time, I found it a very
exciting/liberating experience--I actually walked out of the theatre
feeling proud to be a woman. (Conversely (or rather, relatedly), when
I first saw The Accused I walked out of that theatre hating men in
general.)  Is the on-screen violence, in the case of T&L, a case of
the characters acting out the audience's desires--desires that are
otherwise socially unacceptable? If so, is this type of vicarious
acting- out phenomenon typical of Western-genre and road-films in
general?  And how might this reflect on films like the more recent
Falling Down?  Would anyone care to suggest related articles on this
topic?  I'd certainly appreciate it.

kim ladd
wm & mary