Some other thoughts about unreliability:
REDS problematizes  its romanticized depiction of John Reed by interpolating
interviews with people who knew Reed and/or experienced many of the events
depicted in the film.  Problem is--they often contradict each other, fail
to remember names and events, and offer differing interpretations of what
happened.

Also see NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING STARS by the Taviani brothers.  This film
recalls an incident in WWII Italy after the fall of Mussolini and is narrated
by a woman who addresses "My Love."  At the end, we discover that this is
actually a bedtime story told to her child.

"Reality" is a continuing problem throughout Robert Altman's IMAGES, in which
Susanna York is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)