I am putting together a panel for the Society for Cinema Studies Conference
entitled "CD-ROM ANALYSIS 101,"  and I realized that the technologically savvy
film scholars on this list are prime candidates to participate.

The concept is that film studies has developed several different analytical
methodologies (psychoanalytic, industrial, reader-response,
ideological analysis, cultural studies, etc., etc.) for studying films and
television,
but how useful are these tools for studying CD-ROMs?  The panel asks
participants to deal very specifically with a PARTICULAR CD-ROM (games,
references, etc.) and attempt to apply a methodology currently used in cinema
studies.  The aim is twofold: to get a better understanding of particular
CD-ROMs (as opposed to broader considerations of the possibilities
that new technologies may present) and to see which of the methodologies
our field has developed over the past decades may be useful in future decades
when applied to new media.

Interested?  For further information (or to send proposals), email me at
the above address.

Greg M. Smith
Carlow College/University of Wisconsin-Madison

(please forgive any duplication because of cross-posting this message)