Dear Mike Frank,
        The statement by the Society for Cinema Studies Task Force on
Film Integrity (with authorship by John Belton et al.) is in Cinema
Journal, 30, no. 4 (Summer 1991), 3-6.  It was criticized by Bill Nichols
and Royal Brown in CJ, 31, no. 4 (Summer 1992), 60-72, with replies by
Belton.  I don't think it is any definitive position by SCS although it
does encourage certain practices.
        Personally, however, I need a version of the film that is
"authentic" and that might mean I need a laserdisk or video tape more
than a corrupted 16mm print.  While I wish the 16mm business was
functioning as it should, it isn't.  I don't need to rehearse here,
however, all the issues adequately discussed in the original statment and
        Janet Staiger, Department of Radio-TV-Film, U of Texas-Austin