----------------------------- Begin Original Text
-----------------------------

I'd like to include the ea rliest case of a film being banned known to man.

The earliest I have heard of is the Edison "Fatima's Dance" (evidently NOT
the real title) which was released in two versions, one with the dance (a
kind of over-dressed belly dance) intact, and the other with a series of wide
horizontal lines drawn over the offending parts of her anatomy.

I can't trace the date of the film, although Edison began releasing "dance"
films in 1897 according to the Copyright Guide.

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC