On 11 Jul 95 at 20:31, Missy Price commented on "Re: Citing SCREEN-L
(Was: Box Offic":

> > Recently, Mario Gamper asked about citing SCREEN-L (and other on-line
>
> Since SCREEN-L is archived I would take this one step further (since
> the purpose of citing is to allow the reader to locate the document
> for him/her self) I always use the URL.  In citing Jeremy's posting today
> I would add:

Cool idea, Missy.  I never thought I that, but it makes perfect
sense.  The only problem is that the URL gets a bit funky when you're
dealing with a file held on a Gopher site:

For one thing, you can't have spaces in a URL (as you see above).
So, I *believe* you've got to fill them in with the URL equivalent
for a space, which is %20.  Thus, the above URL becomes (and this
must all be on one line; and, oh yeah, you can leave out the ":70"
since that's the default gopher port):

gopher://ua1vm.ua.edu/11/Local%20UA1VM%20Listserv%20Archives/
SCREEN-L/LOG9507B/SCREEN-L.LOG9507B.G.855

Pretty funky.  There's got to be a simpler way to cite this.  I
suppose you could refer folks to

gopher://ua1vm.ua.edu/

and tell 'em to burrow on in.  But that ain't very scholarly
sounding...

 Jeremy Butler   *  [log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]
      SCREENsite -- a Film/TV-studies site on the World Wide Web:
                http://www.sa.ua.edu/TCF/welcome.htm
 Telecommunication & Film Dept. * University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa