I saw it once.  I remember enjoying it well enough, though some of the
marital scenes between Sutherland and (Burstyn?) were tiring.  But what I
thought was marvelous--indeed, worth the admission--was the moment when
Fellini is encountered editing.  That moment said more about filmmaking,
more about art, more about ego, than many other films put together.
Fellini says, "Sorry, I am WORKING," and we actually see him, just
before, intensely and devotedly lost in that work.  Filmmaking isn't the
egotistical self-indulgence much of Hollywood would have us believe.  At
least, not when it's being done by such as Fellini.  The sense of
concentration we see him display over that cutter's shoulder; his
abruptness at the door; the focus of his love onto the film project,
rather than onto the passerby; are all missing in Alex, and THAT is why
Alex isn't making another film.