I would echo much of DH Hunter's list of valuable suggestions, in particular
the Silverman, Subject of Semiotics. I would add: Peter Wollen, Signs and
Meaning in the Cinema [in fact, I would begin here]; a new anthologv of
essavs from the now defunct Cinetracts, *Explorations in Film Theorv* - anv
of Judith Mavnes's books including *Woman at the Kevhole,* Teresa de
Lauretis, *Alice Doesn't*; Tania Modleski, ed. *Studies in Entertainment*
etc. etc. I'll compile a more formal list over the next few davs and send it
on. Earl Jackson, Jr. UC Santa Cruz