And, additionally, Renoir's LA BETE HUMAINE and Lang's
HUMAN DESIRE (1954).

--Jeremy Butler

>I am researching the following topic:  Hollywood remakes of
>original non-American films (for instance _The Return of Martin
>Guerre/Sommersby_, _The Vanishing/The Vanishing_).

Two films originally done by Jean Renoir come to mind, although I don't
have any insights on sources that compare the two, though I have done quite
a bit of work on that myself in teaching these films.  One is _Boudu sauve
des eaux_ (Boudu Saved from Drowning), 1932, which was remade as Down and
Out in Beverly Hills (remember that one?).  The other is called _La
chienne_ (The Bitch) remade in 1945 by Fritz Lang under the title _Scarlet
Street_.  It is possible (though I'm not at all certain) that Jean-Louis
Leutrat has done a comparative study in his book on _La chienne_, but my
guess is it isn't available in English.

Best,

Kris Butler
University of Minnesota