On Tue, 7 Mar 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> It IS legal to copy copyrighted works for educational purposes. (how many
> trips to Kinko's did you make in college?) And since this is an acedemic
> discussion list (as has been pointed out to me in oh-so-many-ways) I guess
> that would count.

Actually, Kinko's was sued in 1989 by eight book publishers for copyright
infringement.  The Court held that Kinko's practice of photocopying,
without authorization, multiple page excerpts had violated the
publisher's copyrights and awarded the plaintiffs damages.  There are
situations in with the "educational use" claim holds up, but there are
pretty specific "fair use" guidelines that need to be followed.

Diane McD