I don't understand the specific link to film and television studies on this
posting. It strikes me as pure political propaganda for more tax money, not
reasoned argument.
There is a convincing school of thought, best found in Charles Sykes
excellent book "Profscam," that federal aid has harmed higher education and
led to much of the political correctness now found on campus. Cutting federal
aid will hurt bureaucrats who administer it, not students.
My parents went to college for FREE at CCNY, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Hunter
College before federal aid. Now that federal aid exists, all charge tuition,
to take advantage of the system of reimbursements. All have huge
bureaucracies to administer it.
Cutting federal aid will restore the superior free education found in
American state and city universities prior to the 1960's.
Larry Jarvik
CSPC