>I feel it shows that story-telling (isn't that what film is >about?) is
something quite different from just imitating >reality.

I think Don and Leo are both missing the point; since when are big-budget
films (or any film - period) about "reality"? Granted, when we go to see "My
Dinner With Andre" we don't want to feel like a waiter is going to drop
someone's meal down our back; but when we see Slyvester Stallone hurl himself
out of a helicopter into a riot we damn well want to feel like we're smack
dab in the middle of it... don't we? Whatever any of us may think about the
visceral side of movie-watching there's no denying its power to put butts in
seats. How else can one explain the proliferation of home theatres with their
THX and Dolby Surround Sound systems except as attempts to replicate that
"heightened experience" in the privacy of one's own rec-room? - Now that the
naugahyde bar has been supplanted by the 40 -inch projection TV  ;-)

Ken