Subject: Gingrich/NYT/2-95

THE NEW YORK TIMES, Wednesday, February 1, 1995

HOLLYWOOD AUTHOR BECKONS GINGRICH
by Katharine Q. Seelye
Special to The New York Times

under photo:  Speaker Newt Gingrich, star of the new Republican majority in
Washington, is being wooed by conservative actors, long a frustrated
minority in Hollywood.  Mr. Gingrich joined the film star Arnold
Schwarzenegger - who called the Speaker "our leader" - outside the Capitol.

WASHINGTON, Jan. 31 - Speaker Newt Gingrich likes to talk about renewing
civilization, but did he mean Hollywood, too?
        Some in Hollywood think so.  The movie moguls want to bring him
out.  Not
to star in a picture, at least not yet.  But to star at a gala dinner to
give a lift to conservatives in Tinsel Town.
        "Newt is a huge celebrity," said David Horowitz, an author and former
lefty who turned right in the early 1980's and now promotes conservative
vies in Hollywood through his nonprofit Center for the Study of Popular
Culture.
        Mr. Horowitz dropped in on the Speaker's press secretary the other day.
Mr. Horowitz met Mr. Gingrich a few years ago, after Mr. Horowitz wrote a
book called "Destructive Generation," a critical look at the 1960's.  Mr.
Gingrich read the book and invited him and his co-author, Peter Collier, to
Washington for lunch.  "In June, I want to bring Newt out to Hollywood,"
Mr. Horowitz told the press secretary, Tony Blankley, last Friday.
        Mr. Horowitz said he wants Mr. Gingrich, a Georgia Republican, to be the
star attraction at a dinner with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kevin Costner,
Delta Burke, Cheryl Ladd, Gerald McRainey, other actors and scores of
"wheeler-dealers" whom Mr. Horowitz said he could not identify but
nonetheless are eager to celebrate the Republican revolution on Capitol
Hill.
        "Sounds fabulous," said Mr. Blankley.  "Let's talk."
        Mr. Blankley had no trouble adopting the mogul lingo, having grown up in
Hollywood and worked as a child actor in such movies as "The Harder They
Fall" with Humphrey Bogart.
        "Hollywood is moving like crazy," Mr. Horowitz went on.  "The
liberals are
all fed up with Clinton.  Clinton is over.  It's happening.  We'll do Power
Rangers.  We'll have Newt.  It's a way of saying, 'This is the new
establishment, this is the new world.'"
        As it happened, Mr. Schwarzenegger - in town to promote the Inner City
Olympics for poor youths - dropped in on the Speaker today.  He said he
chatted with Mr. Gingrich, whom he called "our leader," about the program.
        During a picture-taking session before the two went behind closed doors,
Mr. Schwarzenegger was asked what fitness advice he might have for the
Speaker.  He said he was glad Mr. Gingrich was swimming every day.  The
Speaker said that if he did not exercise he would soon be starring in a
movie called "The Last Couch Potato."
        "There were two radical movements in the 60's," Mr. Horowitz said in an
interview after leaving Mr. Blankley's office.  "One of them nobody ever
writes about, and that's the one Gingrich came out of.  Now, all those
people are in charge of the House."
        Mr. Horowitz sees the new Speaker as the "breakthrough" personality who
can "get the attention of nonpolitical people."
        "It's exactly the reverse of when Jane Fonda committed treason and came
back and won an Academy Award," he said, referring to her visit to Hanoi
during the Vietnam War.  "That was a very significant moment in Hollywood.
It made it acceptable to be extreme left.  That ushered in the era of the
Oliver Stones."
        "We want equal time," he continued.  The Republication takeover of
Congress and the elevation of Mr. Gingrich to the Speakership, he said, "is
the breakthrough for a persecuted group of people who've been driven
underground."
        Mr. Horowitz was accompanied by Representative Dana Rohrabacher, a
California Republican and one of two members of the House who are surfers,
and later had lunch with Representative Christopher Cox, another California
Republican.
        Hollywood's interest in the Speaker comes at a time when the Speaker is
demonstrating a strong interest in California, as does anyone with an eye
on electoral politics.  Mr. Gingrich has appointed a special California
task force made up of Republican members of Congress from California.
        "Politically, culturally and economically, California is pivotal to
influencing the direction of the country as a whole," said Mr. Rohrabacher.
 "Newt wants to make sure he's not behind the curve.  He's setting up his
structure so he has input.