Thank you everybody who contributed to my enlighment on the question of the art
of stating running times. Shoulda thought of that myself. Guess I have to blame
the metric system for that (it's living hell calculating film length in
meters/minutes).

Anyway here`s another one of those annoying trivia questions. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but i got it this way:
NTSC video runs at 24 fps, but are just using 400 lines on the TV.
PAL video runs at 25 fps (resulting in a running time 4% shorter than the 35 mm
edition) and uses 425 lines on the TV.

Why?

Has it got something to do with the difference between the US & the European
electricity system (60 hz compared to 50 hz?

Cheers,

Ulf
Ulf Dalquist                Phone:  +46 46 104266
Dept. of Sociology          Fax:    +46 46 104794
Box 114 221 00 Lund SWEDEN  E-mail: [log in to unmask]