 From:       [log in to unmask]
----
> Yes, the girl whose mother was NOT killed has, in real life, grown up
> to be a mystery writer of some success in England.  Terry Grose did an
> interview with the woman on Fresh Air (NPR) not too long ago.  The woman
> has another identity now and was distraught when the whole murder affair
> revisited her when the film directors found her out in the process of
> researching the film (HC).  The woman is fascinating to listen to--about
> guilt, expiating it, getting on with life, about insanity (she believes
> STRONGLY that she and the other girl were in complete control of their
> faculties and should by no means have received an innocent because insane
> verdict--and they didn't).  Her story was much more interesting to me
> than the film, which I must admit I strongly disliked (even "hated" perhaps,
> though the effects and the photography were very beautiful at times).  I
> think this has something to do with the film's lack of reflection on the
> horror of the events (I personally felt a lack--I'd love to hear
> how others might see the film including some sort of reflective voice, some
> sort of point of view outside of things, tying it all together--I know
> this might be a lot to ask, might even be impertinent to ask, of a film in
> this po-mo world).  I was disturbed by the way the film asked us to laugh
> at the fantasies of the girls and even vicariously participate in their
> hatred of the mother (and of the psychoanalyst--is an extension of our
> disgust with his condemnation of the girls as "perverted", at which we are
> made to laugh during the film, our corroboration of the girl's fantasized
> murder of him?).  Perhaps I just wasn't easily positioned by the film and
> thus missed the point.  I have more questions, but I'll not go on now.
>   Susan Crutchfield

To be absolutely fair to the filmmakers, I believe that they were NOT
responsible for finding Anne Perry out and were distressed that their
decision to make the film had caused her pain.  I understand that a
journalist saw a resemblance between a photograph of Juliet and one
of Anne Perry and that the production of the film at the same time
was coincidence.

Maggie E

Dr Maggie Exon, Senior Lecturer, School of Information and Library
Studies, Curtin University of Technology, PO Box U1987, Perth, 6001,
Western Australia.  Phone (09) 351 7215; Fax (09) 351 3152
email: [log in to unmask]