I can't recall is it was this list which had an inquiry about classism in
the cinema.  In any case, I though I would pass along this reference to a
colleague's dissertation which I just came across and which seems relevant:
    AUTHOR:     Shafer, Stephen Craig, 1949-
    TITLE:      "Enter the Dream House" : the British film industry and the
                   working classes in Depression England, 1929-1939 / by
                   Stephen Craig Shafer.
    FORMAT:     viii, 414 leaves ; 29 cm.
    DATE:       1982

    SUBJECT:    Working class--Great Britain.
                Working class in motion pictures
                Motion picture industry--Great Britain.
                Motion pictures--Great Britain--Social aspects.
=====
-Richard Leskosky