Author:  "Nitin P. Govil" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    12/14/94 7:20 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Birgit--

You may be interested in the getting-published-as-we-speak _Encylopedia
of Indian Cinema_, edited by Ashish Rajadhyaksha and Paul Willemen from
Indiana University Press.

In any case, I'm currently working on the "uses of the National" in (what
Pradip Krishen calls) indian "parallel cinema", particularly Shyam
Benigal's 1970s cycle of "rural" films (_Ankur_, _Nishant_, and
_Manthaan_).  He gave a talk at the Smithsonian in April, in which he
used subalternity as a mask for the "contradictions" in mainstream
(Bollywood) indian cinema and localized film practices--and its the
problems with his methods of address that i'm particularly interested
in.  Paul Willemen's "The National" (in _Looks and Frictions: Essays in
Cultural Studies and Film Theory_ (BFI (Indiana), 1994) is a fine
treatment of the problems of the "national" in film studies--you may want
to check it out.

best,

nitin govil