Author:  [log in to unmask] (Bob Weis)
Date:    12/20/94 4:10 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Naina Jahangir writes:

>You speak with authority on the Lightworks machines. Perphaps I can ask
>you a few questions. I'm an AVID reseller in Singapore, but I'm getting
>very dissatisfied with their high-handded mannners. Anyway, can
>Lightworks can film speed (24 fps)? Can it read in edge code from
>telecine machines? How do you rate it compared to the Avid film
>composers? Thanks.

LIGHTWORKS can handle 24 frames per second and does handle keycode (KODAK's
edge printed bar code for later negative matching of the final edit).

The great strengths of the LIGHTWORKS compared to any of its competitors is
its editing metaphor.  It looks and feels like film editing and doesn't
require the retraining of the editor.  It is therefore faster to learn and
faster to use giving the director and editor more time to be creative.

The film like editing controller gives the editor the same control over the
playing AND EDITING of the material that they are used to on a mechanical
flat bed editor - and of course a lot more.

In Hollywood, London and Australia it has become the editor of choice in
film based projects.

Their new product HEAVYWORKS can replay 5 images at full speed in real time
and allows for real time editing.  The image quality is "online" for non
broadcast applications and will be online for broadcast in the coming year.

Importantly, judging from your frustrations noted above they are very
responsive to their customer base and feel that listening to their
customers has been a major part of their success in producing the best
products for their markets.

Bob Weis