Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/19/94 11:01 AM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

I started my career as a documentary filmmaker as a researcher. I still find
it an exciting and rewarding way to work in the film business.  Yes, there are
independent researchers, but usually they often sign on to a project for a
specified period of time.  In the world of documentaries, where research is
essential, researchers play a very important role, and often the job is a
logical stepping stone to other aspects of production, especially writing.
Good luck with your career.
Jon Wilkman