Author:  [log in to unmask] (Corey Creekmur)
Date:    12/15/94 2:05 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

        I agree with Christopher Blanchard on My So-Called Life; having
recently taught a course on Film and Youth Culture, I'm hyper-aware that
Hughes's representation of the American teen and high school continues to
have a strong influence (even though he's into babies now); isn't Angela the
ne(X)t generation's Molly Ringwald??  And the soundtrack of MSCL is
Hughes-derived big time.  Don't get me wrong -- I'm hooked on MSCL and will
hate to see it go, but like others have said, I want to turn my head when
parents -- more 60s types who feel guilty for smoking pot and protesting
when they now feel they should have been reading parenting books -- are on
the show, and the resolution of the problems the show raises are always a
disappointment.  One last thing: doesn't anyone out there recall with
fondness another failed teen show, Square Pegs??  At least its, like,
writers didn't, like, think that, like, adding "like" to every, like,
sentence captured actual, like, teen talk.