Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/15/94 8:09 AM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

In my previous post, I mentioned 2 publications that go into detail about
aspect ratios.  The addresses are as follows:

The Perfect Vision
P.O. Box 357
Dept. D
Sea Cliff, NY  11579

or call 1-800-ABC-3201 (US) Canada/Overseas (516) 676-2830

Published bi-monthly.
Costs: 6 issues  US$39.95   Canada/Mexico US$49.95  Overseas US$64.95
             12 iss.
$59.95
$69.95                             $84.95
Visa/MC/AmEx/Checks accepted

In Depth articles on different film formats, processes, filmmakers, film
genres, home theatre hardware, laserdisc reviews.  Interesting new feature is
taking a film and comparing different video transfers.  This month's feature is
The Wizard of Oz and 3 different xfers, including the magnificent new restored
THX xfer, which has sound remastered from the original sound elements.  Must be
heard(& seen) to be believed.  Added bonus, @ 8 hours of musical outtakes and
alternate takes on the multichannel audio tracks (in addition to an exhaustive
supplemental section).  But I digress...

Sample past topics:  Cinerama, Techicolor, Horror Genre, Sci-Fi, Epics
Current issue:  Cult Films, The Wild Bunch and its various versions, HDTV
Update, Blade Runner-Director's Cut...
Future Issues: 3D, Visions of Light (Cinematographers), Todd-AO, Gay Cinema,The
Western,Censorship, VistaVision.  Each of these topics will be covered in the
upcoming issues in the order I've listed.

Widescreen Review
26864 Mandelieu Drive
Murrieta, CA 92562
(909)677-0335

Published almost bi-monthly (publication has been slightly irregular)
Costs:  US$20.00   California $21.55  Can/Mex US$30.00  Outside North America
US$50.00
Checks only.  US funds Only.

More of a glossy newsletter, but very substantial, with excellent technical
articles.  Articles have been about different sound processes, history of Dolby
Labs, history of THX, HDTV.  Reviews of laser software include film format shot
in, and the discs actually aspect ratio, so a comparison can be made re:
discrepancies between the theatrical release and video release.

Both publications are geared to home theatre and the replication of the
experiance in home (ie: surround decoders, speakers, monitors, etc).  Both talk
only about video software on laserdisc since it is the current state of the art
for consumer video playback.  But the technical articles in both are
outstanding.  If you don't have a laserdisc player, you will probably want one
after you start reading what is available in the way of special collector's
editions.

Hope this helps to those who responded to me.  I will tackle questions to my
earlier posting in a separate post.

GWeir @ Discovery.Com