Denis -
        This last semester I used a program called "Caucus" to get the
students to explore the relationship between the work of literature (it
was a course on novels as film) and film.  Using Michel Butor's concept
of literary "collages", some students were assigned the "item" input of
paragraphs from the text that they liked and that seemed missing in the
film.  Then all the other students were to respond to those quotations
with either cultural artifacts, film references or quotes or characters,
or commentary.  The nature of the "items" could be varied depending on
the nature of the course, etc.
        Then I printed out the document and we used it as the basis for a
class discussion on what distinguished literature from film as an
artistic media, with a couple of students initiating the discussion for
each item that had been posted.
        More importantly, I think it made students realize how much of
your own experience and cultural background can be actively brought to
bear on a film for its interpretation.
        The advantage of having the computer (linked to the university
mainframe) in the multimedia room was the chance to project the
discussion onto the screen for a sampling prior to the final printout.
The students actually input their comments before class, of course, from
some other station on campus.
        I'd very much like to know of any other computer/film
applications you may discover from your inquiry.

! Prof. Emily Zants            "... and the whole of Combray ... sprang    !
! Dept. of Eur. Lang. & Lit.   into being, town and gardens alike, from    !
! Univ. of Hawaii, Manoa       my cup of tea."                             !
! Honolulu, HI 96822               Proust: A la recherche du temps perdu   !
! [log in to unmask]              Speak of the Butterfly Effect!!!