As faithful SCREEN-L readers will recall, I started moderating SCREEN-L on
November 4, 1994.  Now that almost four weeks have passed I figure it's
time to evaluate this experiment and I'm hereby soliciting your opinions.

I've removed the moderating deal from SCREEN-L; we're wide open again.  All
messages sent to [log in to unmask] will be posted.

I'll probably toss a few of my own opinions into the mix, but this message
is mostly an informational one.

Based on your comments, I hope to reach a consensus about whether we should
continue as a moderated list or return to the old, free-style format.

What moderating means is that all messages sent to SCREEN-L are sent to me
first.  I read them and then, if they are appropriate for SCREEN-L, I
forward them to the list.  I'll send a copy of the rejection criteria I
used in a separate message.

During this trial moderating period, there were:

        385     Messages submitted to SCREEN-L for posting
         52     Messages rejected
        333     Messages forwarded to the membership

Thus, there was a kill rate of about 14% (13.50649%, for those with an eye
for precision).

All rejected messages were stored in a text file called KILL NOTEBOOK and
indexed in a file called KILL NOTEINDX.  If you're curious about what was
cut, you can access these files through two methods:

1.  Request them from [log in to unmask]

Do not send mail to [log in to unmask]  *Do* send mail to
[log in to unmask] and put the following in the first lines of your
message:

get kill notebook
get kill noteindx

Both files will be sent to you via normal e-mail channels.  (You don't have
to use FTP or anything like that.)  'Course you could just request one file
at a time.

***WARNING***

KILL NOTEBOOK is roughly 130k (2,546 lines) and may fill up your e-mail
box.

2.  Point your World Wide Web browser to:

http://UA1VM.ua.edu/~jbutler/kill.noteindx
http://UA1VM.ua.edu/~jbutler/kill.notebook

Since the messages in KILL NOTEBOOK are sorta raw data there's quite a bit
of junk in the file.  Each message begins with the addressing header and a
paragraph intended for the moderator.  Looks like this: