Wheeler Dixon writes:
"Although I have only been on screen-l for two days now, I am already
struck by the narrowness of the discourse. Kenneth Branagh and Quentin
Tarantino--please! What about Darnell Martin, Ousmane Sembene,Maria
Novaro,Takehiko Nakajima,Sally Potter, Idrisa Ouedraogo,Zhang Yimou,
John Collins, Jean-Isidore Isou,Ulrike Ottinger,Sarah Madoror, Yilmaz
Guney, Mahama Traore,Ann Hui and many, many others whom we might
discuss? Also it seems as if women and Third World
filmmakers/videomakers are being marginalized in the ongoing
discussion.Thoughts, comments?"

I too would like to see more discussion of the above (and much more), but
suspect that discussion seems limited at present because of two factors--
1) people talk about the things that are most current--and Tarantino and
Branagh are very current (expect a flood of VAMPIRE commentary soon);
and (my own case, unfortunately)
2) many people have limited access and resources to the filmmakers listed
above.  I've seen only a handful of films by the directors named and then
usually at the requirement of a round-trip of 2 1/2 ro 3 hours.  Cable and
video provide some relief as well, but that requires the initiative to
break away from what's fed over the tube (not to mention my work desk) and
browse through whatever corners of the video stores aren't being occupied
by JURASSIC PARK, et al.

Anyway, if people would like to say more about films EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN,
BRIGHTNESS (YEELEN), ORLANDO, CAMP AT THIAROYE, or others, I'd be delighted
to join.  If you're discussing films I haven't seen I'll try to listen
(read?) respectfully.

BTW--On another thread, I'm going to be in London for a short time this
week and wondered if the Museum of the Moving Image was worth seeing on
such a short jaunt at the expense of more traditional tourist spots.
Any comments?

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN