Like David Desser, I'm replying over this list rather than
privately, since that might prevent redundant responses.  In addition to
Gina Marchetti's new book, Sumiko Higashi's essay on THE CHEAT in the
collection UNSPEAKABLE IMAGES, ed. Lester Friedman, is very interesting.
Julia Lesage's essay on BROKEN BLOSSOMS (available in various places,
including Gledhill's HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS anthology) is also
important.  For a very different kind of essay, Richard Fung's contribution
to HOW DO I LOOK? (on gay Asian porn) is a revelation.  Finally, almost all
of the collection MOVING THE IMAGE: INDEPENDENT ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN
MEDIA ARTS, ed. Russell Leong is relevant, including (again) an excellent
essay on BROKEN BLOSSOMS.