My thanks to Donald Larsson for expanding upon my comments on the subject of
levels of reference to prior film, literature, myth, etc.  My interest in
this issue grows out of a study of Jim Jarmusch's "Mystery Train" where I was
very impressed by commentary in reviews about Jarmusch's debt to the Japanese
director Uzo, but I could find little to back up my sense that there was a
lot going on in the film that had to do with more literary sources feeding
into social commentary, especially on the racial issue.  Jarmusch seems to
delight in importing motifs and references from literature and music as well
as film.  I appreciate the way others on the SCREEN-L are expanding our
horizons about the many ways in which intertextual references show up or
creep into films.

Dan Gribbin
Ferrum College
Ferrum, VA 24088